This is the 5th in a series of 100 useful facts about big issues facing American voters which are being presented by www.FaceTheFactsUSA.org every day until the election to help Americans debunk myths, hold better conversations, get involved, and make choices as smarter citizens. Today’s facts are related to Jobs and the Economy.
This series is brought to you courtesy of Lorimer Wilson, editor of www.FinancialArticleSummariesToday.com (A site for sore eyes and inquisitive minds) and www.munKNEE.com (Your Key to Making Money!). This paragraph must be included in any article re-posting to avoid copyright infringement.
Fact#5* Released: Aug. 3, 2012 Jobs & Economy
The unemployment situation:
- In 2011, the percentage of unemployed who were jobless for six months or more was 43.8 percent.
- More people were counted as long-term unemployed in 2011 than at any time since the government started keeping records in 1948: 6 million in any given month, which is the population of Houston and Los Angeles combined.
- Of people out of work for more than a year since the recession, only one in 10 will find work each month.
Today’s video (see here) is an offbeat look at the issue. Share it with someone who knows how it feels.
How do we know?
Check the original sources behind the fact:
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey”
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey” (Original Data Value)
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey” (Number unemployed longer than 27 weeks)
- US Census Bureau: “The 15 Most Populous Cities: July 1, 2011”
- Brookings Institution: “U.S. Long Term Unemployment Data”
- Brookings Institution: “Shrinking Job Opportunities: The Challenge of Putting Americans Back to Work”
- Time.com video: “The 99ers”
What do others say?
Here are stories and opinion relating to this fact. We didn’t base the fact on them. Some argue a point of view. That’s them talking, not us.
*http://facethefactsusa.org/facts/the-longer-youre-out-the-tougher-it-gets-video/ (Face the Facts USA is a nonpartisan information resource from the Center for Innovative Media at The George Washington University.)
HAVE YOU SIGNED UP YET?
Go here to receive Your Daily Intelligence Report with links to the latest articles posted on munKNEE.com.
It’s FREE and includes an “easy unsubscribe feature” should you decide to do so at any time.
SAVE TIME searching for today’s best articles. They’re all here!
All articles are also available on TWITTER and FACEBOOK
1. Fact #1: Revenue Does Not Cover Core US Programs
2. Fact #2: The U.S. Has the Highest Corporate Tax Rate in the World
3. Fact #3: Overspending on Education in U.S. Doesn’t Buy Genius
4. Fact #4 from FaceTheFactsUSA.org: Twice the Time Now Spent in Traffic Congestion vs. 2010