The 5 categories in the cannabis sector perform quite differently and below is a summary of how each category performed in 2022:
By Lorimer Wilson, Managing Editor of munKNEE.com – Your KEY To Making Money!
- The Conservative Pot Stocks Index: DOWN 2.6% in 2022 (UP 0.39% including dividends)
- The Index consists of 6 tobacco, beer, and liquor companies that have invested heavily in the cannabis industry, namely, Altria Group (MO); Anheuser-Busch (BUD); British American Tobacco (BTI); Constellation Brands (STZ); Imperial Brands (IMBBY) and Molson Coors Brewing Company (TAP) and they all pay dividends with yields ranging from just 0.89% for Anheuser Busch to 8.05% for Altria and average out at 2.87%.
- Read: Conservative Cannabis Stocks Index Only -3% In 2022
- The Ancillary Pot Stock Index: DOWN 63.7% in 2022
- The Index consists of the 7 largest companies providing goods and services to the cannabis sector, namely, AFC Gamma (AFCG); Forian (FORA); Hydrofarm (HYFM); GrowGeneration (GRWG); Innovative Industrial Properties (IIPR); Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG) and Turning Point Brands (TPB) which trade for at least US$3/share on the Canadian and/or American stock exchanges and have a market cap of at least US$100M.
- Read: The Ancillary Cannabis Stocks Index Collapsed 64% In 2022
- The Psychedelic Drug Stocks Index: DOWN 60.0% in 2022
- The Index consists of 6 psychedelic compound-based and marijuana (THC) drug companies in the clinical stages of research and development of treatments for a wide variety of mental illnesses, namely, Cybin (CYBN); Atai (ATAI); Seelos (SEEL), Compass Pathway (CMPS); Mind Medicine (MNMD) and GH Resources (GHRS) which trade on the Canadian and/or American stock exchanges and have market caps of at least US$50M.
- Read: 6 Largest Psychedelic Drug Stocks Were -20% In December
- The Canadian Cannabis LPs Index: DOWN 66.0% in 2022
- The Index consists of the 5 largest Canadian Licensed Producers, namely: Aurora (ACB); Canopy Growth (CGC); Cronos (CRON); Organigram (OGI), and Tilray (TLRY) which trade for at least US$1/share on the Canadian and/or American stock exchanges and have a market cap in excess of US$250M.
- Read: The 5 Largest Canadian Cannabis LP Stocks Collapsed 66% In 2022
- The American Cannabis MSOs Index: DOWN 72.2% in 2022
- The Index consists of the 12 largest American Multi-State Operators, namely, Acreage (ACRDF/ACRHF); Ascend Wellness (AAWH); Ayr Wellness (AYRWF); Columbia Care (CCHWF); Cresco (CRLBF); Curaleaf (CURLF); Green Thumb (GTBIF); Jushi (JUSHF); Planet 13 (PLNHF); TerrAscend (TRSSF); Trulieve (TCNNF) and Verano (VRNOF) which trade for at least US$1/share on the Canadian and/or American stock exchanges and have a market cap of at least US$200M.
- Read: The 12 Largest American Cannabis MSOs Collapsed 73% In 2022
In summary, the 5 cannabis/cannabis-related company stock category performances ranged from +0.39% (dividends included) to -72.2% in 2022.