Image by Sean Hayes from Pixabay
The steep decline in the performance of the munKNEE Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index, consisting of 5 fledgling fake meat, dairy, egg, and seafood stocks with market capitalizations between $100M and $1B, continued to decline last week after having declined -5% in September, -7% in July and -16% in August and is now DOWN -42.6% YTD. Here are the details:
By Lorimer Wilson, Managing Editor of munKNEE.com, Your KEY TO Making Money!
About Plant-Based Foods
Chris Thompson, President & Director of Research of eResearch Corporation, reports that grocery sales of plant-based foods that directly replace animal products have grown 27% in the past year to $7 billion with 98% of those Americans who are buying plant-based meat also purchasing conventional meat. The total plant-based food market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11.9% going forward and reach $74.2 billion by 2027.
The above being said, the 5 constituents in the munKNEE Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index are ALL down dramatically, YTD, as follows, in descending order:
- Guru Organic (CSE: GURU; GUROF): DOWN -5.2% YTD
- Tattooed Chef (TTCF): DOWN -21.4% YTD
- Else Nutrition (BABYF); DOWN -36.4% YTD
- The Very Good Food Company (VRYYF): DOWN -46.3% YTD
- Laird Superfood (LSF): DOWN -64.0% YTD
The average market capitalization of the above 5 stocks is $297M with an average stock price of $10.77/share.
Please note that:
- Plant & Company Brands (VGANF), Eat Beyond Global (EATBF), Plant Fuel Life (CSE: FUEL), Modern Plant Based Foods (MDRNF), Nepra Foods (CSE: NPRA) and Tofutti Brands (TOFB), with market capitalizations of less than $100M, and Beyond Meat (BYND), with a whopping $6.9B market capitalization and price of $105/share, are excluded from the Index as their inclusion would mask the performance of the other plant-based food stocks in the sector. (The above mentioned currency amounts are in U.S. dollars. Go here to convert to another currency),
The 5 pure-play stocks in the munKNEE Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index are just that, pure, and focused almost exclusively on the research, development, sales, distribution, and marketing of vegan food products and, as such, the Index reflects the true health of the plant-based food sector in the U.S. and Canada.
A Few Last Words:
- Click the “Like” button at the top of the page if you found this article a worthwhile read as this will help us build a bigger audience.
- Comment below if you want to share your opinion or perspective with other readers and possibly exchange views with them.
- Register to receive our free Market Intelligence Report newsletter (sample here) in the top right hand corner of this page.
- Join us on Facebook to be automatically advised of the latest articles posted and to comment on any of them.