The new munKNEE Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index* tracks the price performance of the 6 stocks in the fledgling plant-based fake meat, dairy, eggs and seafood sector to complement the Pure-Play Pot Stock Index and the Pure-Play Psychedelic Stocks Index.
Below are introductory paragraphs, and links, to my recent articles on each company followed by their stock performances for the week ended December 4th:
Constituent Introductions and Stock Performance Comparisons
The Index is divided into two categories – those (four) trading for less than US$5/share and those (two) trading at much higher prices – to provide more meaningful comparisons and conclusions as to the performance of the Index.
- The Very Good Food Company Inc. (VYYRF): designs, develops, produces, distributes, and sells a variety of plant-based “meat” and other food alternatives including The Very Good Butcher products.
- +58.1% on top of +37.0% the previous week
- Better Plant Sciences Inc. Ready To Capitalize On The Burgeoning Growth In Plant-Based Foods ((VEGGF): focused on developing and acquiring plant-based food and beverage formulas, health supplements, therapeutic formulas, and skincare formulas to take full advantage of the dramatic growth in such products.
- +20.0% vs. no change in price the previous week
- Award Winning Modern Meat Inc. Is Disrupting The Traditional Meat Industry (SUVRF): Recognizing a gap in the market for nutritious and satisfying meat alternatives that were soy-, gluten-, nut-, and GMO-free the company quickly became the fastest-growing alternative-meat company in Canada.
- +10.6% on top of +30.6% the previous week
- Else Nutrition: Plant-Based Food Products For Young Children (BABYF): The steady rise in plant-based products indicates that this is not a bubble or a fad, but a real change in consumer behavior – a tipping point. One of those companies with truly innovative products is Else Nutrition Holdings Inc..
- -9.7% vs.+39.3% the previous week
Average Sub-Total Performance: +23.1% on top of +35.6% the previous week
- Laird Superfood Inc. Capitalizing On Rapid Growth In Plant-Based Foods (LSF): The plant-based beverage market was valued at $11B in 2017 and is expected to reach $20B by 2023, growing at 12% CAGR, and Laird Superfood is capitalizing on that growth.
- –1.1% vs. +1.8% the previous week
- Q3 Financial Report Shows How Hard COVID-19 Affected Beyond Meat Inc. (BYND): People hardly talked about things like vegan/vegetarian, chemical-free, GMO-free, hormone-free, gluten-free, and so on, a decade ago but it is a megatrend today.
- -1.8 vs. +4.1% the previous week
Average Sub-Total Performance: -1.6% vs. +3.5% the previous week
In summary, the Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index advanced 0.3% last week vs. +4.9% the previous week.
In addition, we are also tracking the performance of Eat Beyond Inc. (CSE:EATS) which was listed on the Canadian Securities Exchange on Wednesday, November 17th at C$0.78. The company invests in companies that are developing and commercializing innovative alternative meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy food products as well as companies that offer vegan packaging supplies and services to the sector. There are currently 7 companies in its portfolio of which only The Very Good Food Company (also a constituent in the Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index) is publicly traded. You can read my exclusive article on Eat Beyond here.
- Eat Beyond went up 39.0% last week on top of +36.7% the previous week.
*Please note: The 6 pure-play stocks in the munKNEE Pure-Play Plant-Based Food Stocks Index are just that, pure, focused almost exclusively on the research, development, sales, distribution, and marketing of vegan food products and, as such, the Index reflects the true health of the plant-based food sector in the U.S. and Canada.
About Lorimer Wilson
Lorimer Wilson is an economic & financial commentator on economics, personal finance and investing in gold and silver and cannabis, psychedelic and plant-based stock sectors. He is the Managing Editor of munKNEE.com, a site that provides a selection of the internet’s best finance articles in an edited, reformatted and abridged format to ensure a fast and easy read.