We constantly read the hype about the cannabis sector doing extremely well but the Pure-Play “Seed-to-Sale” Pot Stocks Index reveals that sizeable pure-play companies are DOWN -13.1% YTD. Here are the details:
By Lorimer Wilson, Managing Editor of munKNEE.com, Your KEY To Making Money!
The munKNEE Pure-Play “Seed-to-Sale” Pot Stocks Index consists of the 23 non-ancillary (i.e. pure-play) cannabis companies that trade for at least US$1/share, have a market cap of at least US$200M and trade on one or more of the Canadian and/or American stock exchanges. 6 of the 23 index constituents that meet that criteria are Canadian Licensed Producers (LPs) and 17 are American Multi-State Operators (MSOs) and they represent 10% of the total universe of 220 cannabis and ancillary companies currently trading.
Only 6 of the 23 constituents are up YTD, namely:
- Organigram (OGI): +69.9%; Harvest Health (HRVSF): +49.1%; Tilray (TLRY): +27.0%; 4Front Ventures (FFNTF): +13.2%; Goodness Growth (GDNSF): +11.5% and Green Thumb (GTBIF): +3.1%.
The remaining 17 constituents are down, YTD as follows, in ascending order:
- 3 constituents are DOWN -40% or more YTD:
- Hexo (HEXO): -52.7%; Canopy Growth (CGC): -46.3%; Charlotte’s Web (CWBHF): -40.3%.
- 4 constituents are DOWN -30% to -39.9% YTD:
- Columbia Care (CCHWF): -39.5%; Verano (VRNOF): -38.5%; TerrAscend (TRSSF): -34.5%; Jushi (JUSHF): -33.3%.
- 1 constituent is DOWN -20% to -29.9% YTD:
- Cronos (CRON): -21.0%.
- 4 constituents are DOWN -10% to -19.9% YTD:
- Planet 13 (PLNHF): – 19.3%; Acreage (ACRDF/ACRHF): -19.1%; Cresco (CRLBF): -17.2%; Aurora (ACB): – 13.2%.
- 5 constituents are DOWN -1% to -9.9% YTD:
- Gage Growth (GAGE): -8.3%; Trulieve (TCNNF): -6.6%; Ascend Wellness (AAWH): -5.3%; Curaleaf (CURLF): -4.8%; Ayr Wellness (AYRWF): -2.9%.
Action Going Forward
The above account is a grim reminder of how poorly cannabis stocks have performed to date in 2021, in general, but one could look at this decline as, perhaps, an opportunity to buy one or more of those stocks that have declined by doing some in depth research as to which hold considerable promise going forward.
A Few Last Words:
- Click the “Like” button at the top of the page if you found this article a worthwhile read as this will help us build a bigger audience.
- Comment below if you want to share your opinion or perspective with other readers and possibly exchange views with them.
- Register to receive our free Market Intelligence Report newsletter (sample here) in the top right hand corner of this page.
- Join us on Facebook to be automatically advised of the latest articles posted and to comment on any of them.